Thursday 17 May 2007

Happy Ascension Day!!

Today should be the biggest celebration of the Christian year... at least, that's what Augustine thought. Without the ascension, Good Friday and Easter Sunday would have had no value. Without the ascension, Pentecost could never have happened.

The best way to understand the Ascension is to follow the example of Hebrews and get to grips with the Tabernacle and the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16). I've tried to do this in the post below, which I wrote a few years ago and added in the Ascension Day cards I sent to various friends (yes, I made the Ascension Day cards myself!). I'm still trying to work out the exact symbolism of the holy place and the courtyard - and had a very enjoyable lunch today discussing this - so this is by no means my final thoughts.

Maybe one day I'll do some posts about the symbolism of the Tabernacle - and why it's the ultimate visual aid for explaining the gospel!

No comments: